Porter has always been a tough kid. Thursday he went in to hospital get his tonsils taken out. He has been getting a lot of ear infections lately, so we are hoping this can help. When I explained to him what was going to happen, and that he was going to have to eat ice cream, popcicles, yogurt, etc. for 2 weeks he ran around doing his happy dance! He has had such a good attitude about it. We took him in at 8:30 Thursday morning. They took him to get prepped right away. Because he has VonWillebrands (a blood clotting disorder) they had to put his IV in before the surgery to give him some meds to help his blood clot normally. He was nervous about it, so they gave him a seditive and numbing cream. The nurse was so great with him.
The surgery went well, with no complications. Because of the VonWillebrands, they kept him 3 days in the hospital to monitor his bleeding. Rob spent the days with him, and I took the night shift. He spent most of his time during the day playing games on Rob's tablet. When I came in with the boys to trade out with Rob, I think they were a little jealous!
Porter never complained when he was in pain. You could tell when he was hurting when he wouldn't talk. Rob got him a clip board, so he could point out his commonly used words instead of saying them.
These are the things that Porter came up with that were important to tell his dad:
Dad
No
Yes
Nap
Love you Dad
No kissis
Hug
I fartid
TV
Every nurse that came in got a good laugh!
We missed having Porter around the house. It was too quiet without him. On our way to pick him up yesterday, I asked Ethan what he missed about him. He was really embarrassed to talk about it. I had to bribe him with a piece of gum to tell me.
Finally he says,
"You know how when we watch shows together and I like to talk about the funny parts? I caught myself about to tell him something, when I realized he wasn't there."
I thought that was so sweet. He just missed hanging out with him.
Porter finally got to come home yesterday. We celebrated having our family back together and went to the drive in. It was perfect for him. He was able to lay down in the back of the car and enjoy the movie with us. We are so glad to have him home!
2 comments:
what a honey boy. Im glad he is home and happy tonsil and clot free. I love the commonly used words. SOOO FUNNY.
Glad everything went OK. I think our kids are much more patient with pain and uncomfortable medical things than us adults! Hope he's feeling better.
Post a Comment