Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Caribbean Cruise- Belize

For Belize we booked our own tour to shark/ray alley. We took a 45 minute speed boat ride to a little island where we stopped to pick up sardines to feed the sharks. We got to feed tarpon, which are huge fish that jump out of the water when you dangle a fish. I pretty much screamed every time.


 Next they took us to snorkel the reef which is the 2nd largest in the world. We saw many colorful fish, eels, a barracuda, and a turtle.





Then we got back in boat to head over to shark/ray alley. They threw in sardines and big nurse sharks started gathering. About 10, 5-8 ft sharks. Even though they told us that nurse sharks are harmless, I was really nervous about getting in the water with the sharks. But I knew I would probably never have a chance to do this again and got in. 



We even got brave and pet the sharks. It felt rough like sand paper. One of the ladies that was with our group actually grabbed a fin and let the shark take her for a ride. This unassuming 60-something year old lady put us all to shame. Even the tour guide was saying that she has never seen anyone do that before. We all couldn't believe our eyes. 


We also saw a few sting rays, and many fish. 

After our shark adventure they took us to Caye Caulker island. We had lunch, and walked the beach before our ride back. 


The speed boat ride back through mangroves and islands was awesome. It was obvious that the boat driver new the islands well as he sped through. Islands were everywhere, and the water was beautiful. 


I loved seeing random little fishing shacks out in the water.

Once back at the mainland we walked through the flea market and got some souvenirs on the way back to the ship.

No comments: